LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

VIC Has Retailer Breached Any Australian Consumer Law Rights?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by Zeina, 1 August 2016.

1. Zeina

Zeina Member

Hi There.

I purchased a dress online for $220 from an Australian Retailer (Based in NSW). My payment went through and the money was deducted out of my account.

A few hours later, the seller had emailed me saying that they had advertised the dress for an incorrect amount on their site and that the dress is actually $420. They went on to say they had refundedt the money and it would take 3 days for the refund to reach my account without even asking me first or offering me other options.

They also advised that if I wanted the dress, I would now have to repurchase it for $420? What are my Australian Consumer Law rights? Has the company breached anything?

Are they still obliged to send me the dress for the amount I originally purchased it for?

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Hi Zeina,

If this was an isolated product that was incorrectly priced, it was likely an error. In such a case, it is open to a retailer to deal with the situation in accordance with their individual store policy which should be found in their website Terms and Conditions. A store may or may not honour the incorrect price depending on their policy. They are not however required by law to honour the sale of an incorrectly priced item.