QLD Gumtree Item Wasn't as Described - Recourse?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jae Hyeok Son

25 July 2017
Hi there,

Last night I bought and electric guitar from Gumtree Fender stratocaster USA guitar for $850 and was advertised as made in USA. I only found out an hour later that pictures didn't line up with real USA stratocaster.

I did a serial number check online and it turns out to be parts assembled mix bag guitar, neck was USA made I think and the body isn't as the serial number stated that it was a Black guitar rather than Red as sold.

Below are the descriptions and link to the page;

Seller's description
Condition: Used
2003 Fender American Stratocaster HSS w/case - Made in USA!

Pictures give the description, call me if yiou have any questions. A few dings and scratches that can be expected from a 14 - 15 year old guitar. Sounds amazing through my Marshall JCM900. Selling because the collection needs to be thinned and to be honest im more of a Gibson man. Guitar is in Coomera Gold Coast QLD

Yes, all the same story, I paid without knowing to be honest. It's really really hard to tell from the pictures but I have been using strats for long time and this time i was bit ignorant buying it interstate,
I got the licence and detail of the person, address, instagram/facebook, abn number, mobile, his wifes account number since I deposited to her, and all sorts of information but seller is refusing to refund and being pain.

I don't even have the guitar yet as I have cancelled the shipping to NSW from QLD, so that I don't get the item sent.

Should I just cope it and take the fake guitar? or should I go thru ACORN or civil court? I have lodged ACORN already, and trying to find the form for civil tribunal for QLD.

Can someone comment on this?