Got caught shoplifting at Coles, now what?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
3 June 2020
Today I stupidly shoplifted at my regular Coles. I've never done anything like this before, but I had been discussing it with a friend the other day and she was talking about what a thrill it was. I don't know why I decided to try it but I definitely WILL NOT again!!! This is absolutely not something I usually do.

All I had taken was perishables (food, all under $10 probably) and as I was leaving two men in regular clothes stopped me and pulled me aside. They said they were security. I wasn't taken to an office or anything, just pulled aside where I had to empty the contents of my bag. One man gave me a pen and paper and made me write down my full name, address and date of birth. They also asked me for my ID multiple times and I had to keep explaining I didn't have one. He let me go and said this was a warning, and to not do it again, and if I did then the police would be contacted.

I feel like I've lucked out quite a bit, especially reading other peoples responses regarding the ID thing. Still this entire situation has left me absolutely riddled with anxiety. I called my friend immediately after and as I was explaining the situation I started hyperventilating, which turned into one of the worst panic attacks I've ever had, so clearly this entire experience has struck a cord . I feel sick.

I have some questions about what's going to happen? I'm assuming (and HOPING!!!) the police won't be involved, as he actually told me this was a warning and I feel like if they were to contact the police they would've done so at the time?

But what will they do with the information that I gave them? I feel uncomfortable that they have my name and address.
Also I paid for one thing before I left, and I used my card. I understand they have the right to use that information from my card but that's the thing that is giving me the most anxiety. If I shop at any Coles or any supermarket again will something pop up if I use my card? Am I in the files and will every worker know that I made a terrible decision forever if I keep using my card at Coles?

Also will they take the CCTV footage and put it online? I'm really embarrassed and paranoid. I'm only 15, and I'm scared that this is just gonna ruin my life forever. I know it seems a little dramatic, I'm just really scared at the moment and I've never been in a situation like this before. What are they gonna do with the information I have given them? Are they sending someone to my house? Surely not because it's a warning???

Ah!!! definitely learnt my lesson :/ would appreciate any help

Exhausted&terrified

17 May 2023
Today I stupidly shoplifted at my regular Coles. I've never done anything like this before, but I had been discussing it with a friend the other day and she was talking about what a thrill it was. I don't know why I decided to try it but I definitely WILL NOT again!!! This is absolutely not something I usually do.

All I had taken was perishables (food, all under $10 probably) and as I was leaving two men in regular clothes stopped me and pulled me aside. They said they were security. I wasn't taken to an office or anything, just pulled aside where I had to empty the contents of my bag. One man gave me a pen and paper and made me write down my full name, address and date of birth. They also asked me for my ID multiple times and I had to keep explaining I didn't have one. He let me go and said this was a warning, and to not do it again, and if I did then the police would be contacted.

I feel like I've lucked out quite a bit, especially reading other peoples responses regarding the ID thing. Still this entire situation has left me absolutely riddled with anxiety. I called my friend immediately after and as I was explaining the situation I started hyperventilating, which turned into one of the worst panic attacks I've ever had, so clearly this entire experience has struck a cord . I feel sick.

I have some questions about what's going to happen? I'm assuming (and HOPING!!!) the police won't be involved, as he actually told me this was a warning and I feel like if they were to contact the police they would've done so at the time?

But what will they do with the information that I gave them? I feel uncomfortable that they have my name and address.
Also I paid for one thing before I left, and I used my card. I understand they have the right to use that information from my card but that's the thing that is giving me the most anxiety. If I shop at any Coles or any supermarket again will something pop up if I use my card? Am I in the files and will every worker know that I made a terrible decision forever if I keep using my card at Coles?

Also will they take the CCTV footage and put it online? I'm really embarrassed and paranoid. I'm only 15, and I'm scared that this is just gonna ruin my life forever. I know it seems a little dramatic, I'm just really scared at the moment and I've never been in a situation like this before. What are they gonna do with the information I have given them? Are they sending someone to my house? Surely not because it's a warning???

Ah!!! definitely learnt my lesson :/ would appreciate any help
What ended up happening? Did the police come to your house?