WA General question court

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Pascal

12 June 2019
Can you go to jail for not following a court order? I was to sign a personal document which I refused, i was taken to court and an order was made that I do it within 2 months .I'm still refusing the other party is taking me back to court for it . What can happen

Atticus

6 February 2019
Can you go to jail for not following a court order?
Not that simple especially in family law... Depends on the order & circumstances, but generally no.

i was taken to court and an order was made that I do it within 2 months .I'm still refusing the other party is taking me back to court for it . What can happen

If you continue to deliberately & knowingly disobey a direction given in a court order, & the court is satisfied this constitutes a flagrant disregard for the authority of the court, you can be found in contempt of court & fines & or imprisonment can follow

sammy01

27 September 2015
What is the document in relation to?
Jail does happen.
But the other party is well on his/her way towards getting a cost order against you. Basically, you will be directed to pay their court costs / legal fees.
If you refuse the debt can go to debt recovery, from there (I Believe - and I'm not 100% sure) but I believe you can find that you won't be able to do stuff like register a car / re-new your driver's licence.

You went to court, you had your opportunity to make your case. That is what the legal system is about - and impartial third party (the magistrate) made a decision. Severe penalties can be applied and enforced, I'd suggest you sign the piece of paper.

The other thing that can happen, depending on the nature of the thing you're being asked to sign is the court can sign on your behalf so the court order can take effect. So what will you have won?