NSW Family Court - When are Final Orders Generally Reached?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lost221

20 October 2016
When are final orders generally reached? I understand they can be made whenever both parties come to an agreement, but I can honestly see us going to a family court trial.

What's the process leading up to it?

How long will it take?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
It really depends on the registry and the complexity of the case, but the average is about 18 months to 3 years from the date of initiation.

Thefactsonly

30 January 2017
Sorry I'm not of much help when it comes to time frames - I hear it takes a long time but then again it might also depend on what state your'e in. as to how fast the system is processing things.

Interesting to hear - 18months to 3 years! Wow, that's a long time (especially in 'kids' years!).

My case was set for duty list two weeks ago, were given a date 3 months later for 'mention' and in that time, a family report to be completed... I have no idea what happens after here however. So for me its been fast so far...

Dad in trouble

3 March 2017
I went through the Sydney registry.

It took me about two years. In the first few months, they will try to put in place interim parenting orders. Not sure if there was a psychologist review at this stage.

If memory serves me correctly then there is another attempt at mediation. Finally there will be a psychologist in the last three months to interview and review all parties and complete a report with recommendations.