TAS Food Contamination

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Flek

23 November 2023
Hello... I found a metal rivet in my Woolworths Supermarket branded sausages. I am still in discussion with Woolies, but have not been happy with how they have dealt with this issue. It seems they have problems with their workflow. I have kept the rivet, packaging, and receipt. Is there any point in suing? My understanding is that if no harm has been done, then no. The only harm was a bad taste in my mouth for about 36 hrs, I think due to the leftover sausage being microwaved.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Hello... I found a metal rivet in my Woolworths Supermarket branded sausages. I am still in discussion with Woolies, but have not been happy with how they have dealt with this issue. It seems they have problems with their workflow. I have kept the rivet, packaging, and receipt. Is there any point in suing? My understanding is that if no harm has been done, then no. The only harm was a bad taste in my mouth for about 36 hrs, I think due to the leftover sausage being microwaved.
You are not in California.
Nobody is going to pay you millions of dollars.
Get your money back - the way the ACL provides for - accept the apologies of the store manager,
and move on.

GiadaHolden

5 January 2024
It's definitely frustrating when such things happen. As for the legal side of things, you're right that, typically, if no harm has been done, it might not be worth pursuing a lawsuit.

GiadaHolden

5 January 2024
Have you ever tried using powder coconut milk in your recipes? It's a fantastic way to add some creamy coconut goodness to your dishes.
In the end, the most important thing is your safety and satisfaction with the products you buy. Hopefully, Woolworths addresses this issue properly so you can continue to enjoy your meals without any unexpected surprises.