QLD Family Law - When Does Heritage Enter into Custody Arrangements?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

nat 2015

8 February 2017
My one-year-old has been on solids since she was 6 months old and yes I will continue to breastfeed until she decides she doesn't wish to continue and I take your comments as a bit offensive that a woman these days has to stop feeding by 12 months. Research states going beyond 12 months has many benefits.

The boys go to him a week off, week on. As for the baby - in the 3 times she has been there, he has fallen asleep. I don't think this is good parenting. My 14-year-old has rung me. Concerned now my 14-year-old is a epileptic on 2 occasions with him. My ex has not sought medical attention for him either, not until the next day or not at all.

My other concern is the children being left in the care of a 20-year-old at night when he goes to work. This is not suitable at all, as she should not be expected to look after them and she has left them to go out. My epileptic son is not allowed to be left without an adult, his father is very aware of this, as with the toddler. He comes in and out her life when it suits him he has stated many times he can't look after her and hasn't taken the time to bond with her and I have given him many opportunities.

He has a history of drug use and most recently ice was found at his residence when I confronted him about it. He said he was holding it for someone. I have concerns. I never agreed to 50/50. He demanded it and he threatened many times to keep the children and not hand them back and has no other reasons but to hurt me as he knows the children mean a lot to me and are my life. He still insists on punishing me for leaving.

I want to co-parent with this man. I have always wanted to.

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
Just to back you up nat2015 re breastfeeding, even the WHO recommends continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age or beyond. It's in the child's best health interests as well as important health aspects for mothers.

Reactions: nat 2015

nat 2015

8 February 2017
Just to back you up nat2015 re breastfeeding, even the WHO recommends continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age or beyond. It's in the child's best health interests as well as important health aspects for mothers.
Thank you

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I'm not suggesting you have to stop breastfeeding. Breastfeed until the child is 10, if you like. This is a law forum. I'm telling you how the Court will perceive the situation, nothing more.

The Court will be faced with a decision. Does it make orders that maximise the child's opportunity to have a relationship with the father, or does it make orders that maximise the child's opportunity to supplementary breastfeed? If the child was an infant, I'd say the latter, but the child is at an age where she can survive and flourish on solids, so saying the child is breastfed isn't going to persuade the Court that the child's time with dad should be limited to every other weekend.

Now, here is an observation as to why I'm not optimistic about the likelihood of you attaining the orders you want.

You've got two teenaged kids who are with their dad 50/50. It doesn't really matter that you feel you didn't agree to that arrangement. They're old enough to tell a family consultant if they don't want to be in dad's care 50/50; they're old enough to speak up and act if they feel they're in danger in dad's care; and they're equipped with a parent who will support them if they choose to stop seeing dad (as their sibling already did).

Yet they still see their dad 50/50.

On top of that, there's an adult child in this family who lives with dad. She doesn't need to speak to a family consultant to have her voice heard. She's at liberty to file an affidavit directly with the Court.

What does that tell you? What do you think it will tell the Court? Wouldn't you agree theres a pretty good chance the Court is going to say the proof is in the pudding?

I apologise that I can't be more supportive here, but the Court is not a compassionate place, either. Better to be realistic than supportive when it comes to family law.