Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Family Law - Son Won't Let Me See Grandchildren - What to Do?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by ingrid, 3 February 2016.

  1. ingrid

    ingrid Member

    3 February 2016
    Likes Received:
    My son and daughter-in-law will not allow me to see my grandchildren. Is there something I can do about it under Family Law?
  2. AllForHer

    AllForHer Well-Known Member

    23 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    You can contact Legal Aid or Relationships Australia and organise a family dispute resolution conference to try and negotiate an agreement for the child to spend occasional time with you. If the parents refuse to participate or agreement can't be reached, you can file an initiating application with the court as a party who is concerned with the care, welfare or development of the child.

    Filing as a person concerned with care, welfare or development requires you to prove the additional component of actually being a person that fits this description. You then have to prove to the court that the orders you intend to seek (that is, that the child spend time with you) is in their best interests.

    Grandparents are not often granted guaranteed time with the child outside of 'as agreed between the parties', except where the grandparents were primary carers of the child in question for a period of time, or have a strong bond with the child and consistent engagement in their lives.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page