VIC Family Law - Requesting the Change of Child's Placement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Shakeah

7 March 2017
Can I request under Family Law for my child's current placement to be changed? To be placed with another Carer?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Shakeah,

It all depends on what type of placement you are talking about. Is it a family court order, permanent care order or a long term child care agreement. Under a family court order or a permanent care agreement you may be apply to revoke or vary the order at a later stage by applying to the court.

Under a long term child care agreement you may terminate the arrangement by giving notice in writing to the other parties. I'm guessing you are talking about one of the first two, so it can be done by applying to the court.

Shakeah

7 March 2017
Hi

It's a Family Reunification Order made by the court. He was placed with his half brother in August 2016. He has however been in care since may 2016.

He was placed with a long time friend of mine in May. In July 2016, his half brother, his father's son, went to court to apply for care of him. At that time, my friend, his carer, needed to go see a family member in hospital and couldn't take my son with her so she asked for his half brother to babysit him for the weekend, approved by DHA! When they got back, his brother had been to court to get my son placed into his care.

Since being with him, they have not let my son see his original carer, my friend who he had a strong bond with. They have cut all ties. My friend has known my son since 6 weeks of age. She has been very much involved in his life and is a great support to me as well in helping me trying to get my son back, etc.

So this is why I want my son to be placed into her care! She has also done foster care and has had over 120 foster children in her care and she has a working with children's card etc.