NSW Family Law - Ordered to Move While Pregnant?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Brigid

29 January 2017
It's very strained ATM and he wants me to give birth in QLD as that was the arrangement when we conceived so he thinks he is being shafted basically. He ended it though and wanted he to go home and I have proof of that.

I am really wanting to get things civil as I don't want this to get out of control so I'm hoping we can come to am agreement if not give it another go even.

What's your relationship like with the child's father? Are you talking? Has he said anything about you being in Sydney?

Brigid

29 January 2017
He is now not happy with me being in Sydney as he's obviously realised he will miss out on alot. He has asked not to be involved in the pregnancy, just after birth.

It's very strained ATM and he wants me to give birth in qld as that was the arrangement when we conceived so he thinks he is being shafted basically. He ended it though and wanted he to go home and I have proof of that.

I am really wanting to get things civil as I don't want this to get out of control so I'm hoping we can come to am agreement if not give it another go even.

QUOTE="Hayder Shkara, post: 42313, member: 14249"]What's your relationship like with the child's father? Are you talking? Has he said anything about you being in Sydney?
[/QUOTE]

Hayder Shkara

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 January 2017
Sydney, NSW
www.neatlaw.com.au
Talk to him. Explain that you want to have him involved in the childs life but you want to live in Sydney because you have more support there for raising the child. Let him know that he is able to see the child, have an active role in the decisions making process etc...

I would STRONGLY recommend that you have some sort of written document called a parenting plan - verbal discussions are often misinterpreted or forgotten. Please read from here for some info: Child Custody - Neat Law | Sydney Legal Advice

Brigid

29 January 2017
Thanks so much I will try .

If I do need representation, I will be in contact with you. Thank you very much

Talk to him. Explain that you want to have him involved in the childs life but you want to live in Sydney because you have more support there for raising the child. Let him know that he is able to see the child, have an active role in the decisions making process etc...

I would STRONGLY recommend that you have some sort of written document called a parenting plan - verbal discussions are often misinterpreted or forgotten. Please read from here for some info: Child Custody - Neat Law | Sydney Legal Advice
Thanks

Hayder Shkara

Lawyer
16 January 2017
Sydney, NSW
www.neatlaw.com.au
Good luck with it all. I think everyone in this forum will agree that the best strategy for any family law problem is open and clear communication between both parents.

Reactions: MartyK

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yep and I reckon I have a thought for you...

When you have any verbal communication, let him know that you're gonna take notes and then email him a copy of your notes and invite him to respond to confirm they are either accurate, or if he has any disputes with your version he can note that too. Let him know that you're just trying to keep everything transparent so to eliminate disputes...

Look it is like having a business meeting. Now you might not have had too many of them...But by keeping records you're making sure there is a good paper trial and the intention is to avoid disputes about he said / she said..

Reactions: Hayder Shkara

Hayder Shkara

Lawyer
16 January 2017
Sydney, NSW
www.neatlaw.com.au
When you have any verbal communication let him know that you're gonna take notes and then email him a copy of your notes and invite him to respond to confirm they are either accurate, or if he has any disputes with your version he can note that too.... Let him know that you're just trying to keep everything transparent so to eliminate disputes

That's a good idea sammy. I'm going to advise my clients to start doing the same.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
At law, you don't have a baby yet.

In NSW, a fetus has no legal existence separate from its mother.
So, all this talk about an "unborn baby" is in fact just smoke and noise.

I am not a family law lawyer, but I cannot see any circumstances
where you could be forced to move interstate against your will.