QLD Can I Move from Child's Father's Work Area?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ShanTirie

15 July 2015
Keep this family law question short. I'm moving back to Qld and have just been advised by my daughter's father that, because he works within a 100km radius of the town we're moving to, it'll be difficult for me to leave the area. Please note his residence is at the Gold Coast but works within 100km of Chinchilla. I also have 3 younger children and a single mum.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Just to clarify, you're moving closer to the father, is that right?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I see. What is your legal question?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Yes, you can, provided there are no orders binding you to that area, but if you're the residential parent and the move significantly impacts your child's ability to spend time and maintain a meaningful relationship with the father, the father can apply for a recovery order for you or the child to relocate back to your former area.

The court is focused on where the parents live, not where the parents work.

Reactions: Tim W and ShanTirie

ShanTirie

15 July 2015
Yes, you can, provided there are no orders binding you to that area, but if you're the residential parent and the move significantly impacts your child's ability to spend time and maintain a meaningful relationship with the father, the father can apply for a recovery order for you or the child to relocate back to your former area.

The court is focused on where the parents live, not where the parents work.
Thank you. That's what i thought. Orders are in place but we were in Rockhampton when they were put in place. But the father signed off on us moving to Perth. We've since lived in Cairns and now northern Nsw. So the orders now do not maintain that i stay in one area. His work and residence are about 400 km apart. He was trying to tell me his lawyer stated if I move within the location of his workplace it would be difficult to leave again. And as you stated this concerns his residence not his workplace. Thank you again

AllForHer

23 July 2014
If he has approved several prior significant relocations and still been able to maintain a relationship with the kids, it would probably be difficult to argue for a relocation order anyway.

ShanTirie

15 July 2015
If he has approved several prior significant relocations and still been able to maintain a relationship with the kids, it would probably be difficult to argue for a relocation order anyway.
Thank you so much. It was as i thought.