QLD Family Law - Breach of Parenting Plan - Dispute Enrolment in School?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Julie Turner

2 December 2015
Hi, I am just wondering if someone could help me.

My ex has gone ahead and enroled our son into a state high school which is 52k from her residential address without discussing with me any concerns I may have or options and considerations. I believe she has used her old postal/rates notices as prove of residency.

Needless to say, the school in question is completely out of our way, by passing many other high schools that would be far more accessible.

We do have a family court ordered parenting plan in place which states we are to agree on schooling which obviously is not happening.

Would it be possible to dispute the enrolment with the school? Will I still have to pay half of school costs, when she is the only signature on the enrolment?

Mediation is out of the question as she never aggress and mediation have stated they can no longer help us.

Thank you

sammy01

27 September 2015
Do the court orders specify pick up / drop off arrangements? Will the change of schools impact on those arrangements?

What sort of time are you spending with the child?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Oops, sorry I wrote more but GRRR it somehow got deleted...

Other stuff you can do?

Contact the school tell them you don't agree with the enrolment - tell them the ex has lied about the address and that you have court orders pertaining to shared parental responsibility.... Then email the information that you provided to the school to the ex. The school might show an interest.

As far as school fees - Public schools have minimal fees... If you're paying child support then that covers it.

I'd also email the ex and ask her to discuss the matter. Just to get a good paper trail

Julie Turner

2 December 2015
Do the court orders specify pick up / drop off arrangements? Will the change of schools impact on those arrangements?

What sort of time are you spending with the child?
The pick up is from his primary school after school care on a Wednesday at 4pm where he will stay in our care till Monday morning @ start of school every fortnight.

Julie Turner

2 December 2015
The pick up is from his primary school after school care on a Wednesday at 4pm where will stays in our care till Monday morning @ start of school every fortnight.
Yes the change of care would impact on those arrangements as there is no after school care available. Thank you for your reply

N Knight

27 December 2015
I would suggest that you bring an application to the Family Law Courts, you need to go to Mediation to get a section 60I certificate before you can file in Court.