VIC Family Court - When is an Application Considered Filed?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Malissla

24 April 2018
Then police should have been involved and a FVIO taken out and then there'd be no dispute. Children's court is limited in what they can do so I am unclear why the matter was taken there.

Makes me think more is happening here or Child protection have stuffed up.

After child protection supervised access for three years, they made him agree to consent orders in the federal court that access be supervised, at that point they CP withdrew, 3 weeks later he sought unsupervised access in his response. I did not report it to the police at the time because I was scared, for me and the children, but in 2015 he admitted in an affidavit that he put a gun to all our heads but he said there was no cartridge in the gun. I recently reported the incident to police and am awaiting to see what happens, I did get an IVO, I've had 6 over the last 7 years, the last one was issued last year and valid for 5 years. It was taken to the children's court by Child Protection because orders were issued in the federal court for unsupervised access.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Are you receiving any legal advice? It seems to me you are being led down the wrong path by Child Protection.

The last FVIO should have referred to the Family Court/FCC orders.

Malissla

24 April 2018
Are you receiving any legal advice? It seems to me you are being led down the wrong path by Child Protection.

The last FVIO should have referred to the Family Court/FCC orders.

When the federal court gave him access child protection stopped it happening, I rely on them more than a court, the court put the children at risk, child protection did their job, in my experience they are the only ones I can rely on, I have yet to come across a competent lawyer, the ones I have seen are brainless.

Nonfiction

17 May 2018
Victoria
Its a wonder these people don't lose their job saying things like that.

That’s precisely something they would say.

Here’s an example from a case I am very familiar with...there had been countless notifications, dv, mental health issues, child abuse allegations...basically allegations being flung around left right and centre.

Child Protection had been requested to join as party. Although they do not always accept the request, for this particular matter they did. Anyway, on the 1st day that the matter was listed for final hearing, child protection arrived at the Court with their Barrister. Both sides were also represented, the ICL and ICL barrister was also in attendance. Upon entering the Court, Child Protection immediately sought for the matter to be adjourned until after they had conducted investigations. The Judge denied the request based on the expense that would be incurred by all of the parties if the hearing was delayed.

This did not deter the Child Protection barrister who in no uncertain terms informed the judge that whether the trial went ahead or not, child protection would still be conducting their investigations and if they found that the children were at risk in one or both of the parents care, then they would be immediately applying to the Children’s Court for Orders...so the ‘costs’ incurred by the parties in having to attend the trial could be much greater. The judge was definitely not happy when he adjourned the matter!

Reactions: Malissla

Malissla

24 April 2018
Has the Judge made order requesting Child Protection to join as a party under s91B?

Has the Court been provided with evidence of this? Or was this what you were trying to file with the application in a case?

Can I make an application that an order requesting Child Protection to join as a party under s91B?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
applying to the Children’s Court for Orders

Is this Vic? There are possible jurisdictional issues involved in Vic and why I suspect the OP is being forced back to the FCC/Family Court. Though surprised none of this brought up at the FVIO.

Last edited:

Malissla

24 April 2018
That’s precisely something they would say.

Here’s an example from a case I am very familiar with...there had been countless notifications, dv, mental health issues, child abuse allegations...basically allegations being flung around left right and centre.

Child Protection had been requested to join as party. Although they do not always accept the request, for this particular matter they did. Anyway, on the 1st day that the matter was listed for final hearing, child protection arrived at the Court with their Barrister. Both sides were also represented, the ICL and ICL barrister was also in attendance. Upon entering the Court, Child Protection immediately sought for the matter to be adjourned until after they had conducted investigations. The Judge denied the request based on the expense that would be incurred by all of the parties if the hearing was delayed.

This did not deter the Child Protection barrister who in no uncertain terms informed the judge that whether the trial went ahead or not, child protection would still be conducting their investigations and if they found that the children were at risk in one or both of the parents care, then they would be immediately applying to the Children’s Court for Orders...so the ‘costs’ incurred by the parties in having to attend the trial could be much greater. The judge was definitely not happy when he adjourned the matter!

And this goes to prove that Orders issued by the Federal or Family Court can indeed be overridden by Children's Court Orders. Am I right in assuming the "much greater costs" would have arisen due to the matter being put back before the court after the final hearing?

Nonfiction

17 May 2018
Victoria
Is this Vic? There are possible jurisdictional issues involved in Vic and why I suspect the OP is being forced back to the FCC/Family Court. Though surprised none of this brought up at the FVIO.
Yes the case I referred to was in Victoria.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
goes to prove that Orders issued by the Federal or Family Court can indeed be overridden by Children's Court Orders.

If your statement was true in all matters there would be no need to go back the FCC or Family Court.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
so the ‘costs’ incurred by the parties in having to attend the trial could be much greater

Barrister used the judge's own justification. Hard to backtrack from there. Suspect if the judge had a found a different reason he/she may have proceeded with the trial.

Reactions: Malissla