Ex Insisting on Binding Financial Agreement -Thoughts?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

WHMurphy

7 September 2016
Hi again everyone,

Here's the situation:

My ex-wife and I have a buyer for our jointly owned property. It's the best offer we've had in the last 12 months. My ex says she will only sign if I sign a binding financial agreement of 50/50 on the proceeds from the sale and walk away. I have made a full disclosure of my financial position to both her new lawyer and the one she sacked last year.

She has yet to provide any financial documentation. She will have more in the bank than I do as she took $30,000.00 out of out joint bank accounts after our mutual declaration to divorce last year. She also has shares in 34 Maori land titles in New Zealand.

Assessing the value of these shares would be expensive for her and also potentially very time consuming. She has been very uncooperative and thwarted previous efforts to sell the house. She would only make this offer if she thought it were to her advantage, not that it was fair. If we loose this buyer, the next may only offer a lower price.

Any thoughts?

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
That's something you will have to decide...look at things such as your own legal costs if you continue to pursue it as well as possibly loosing the buyer as you mentioned.

Any chance you can push her 5% and be happy with that? Then she'll certainly have to rethink her possible legal fees if she rejects such an offer..