NSW Ex-employer accessing personal email account

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Edgeman

18 May 2017
Hi,

Just wondering if this is legal (I assume not). I left a company a couple of weeks ago (external contractor) and found today that my personal google mail account has been accessed from machines on my previous employer's network, earlier today. Google clearly shows the machine name and access time.

I believe they have done this to come after me for a (baseless) breach of contract, their lawyers have already been in touch and sent several threatening letters claiming I am competing with my previous employer, etc., etc. Definitely not doing that, in fact I've already moved on to a permanent position with a company in another industry.

I assume regardless this does not give them the right to access my personal emails?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
this does not give them the right to access my personal emails?

It may have been 'inadvertent' access if you left your password in their system. You would have to prove it wasn't.

You may have agreed to allow them access through your contract of engagement.

I'd be ignoring the lawyer's claims and replying saying you have proof the ex-client is accessing your personal information and they are to immediately cease and desist such access and are destroy any of your personal information they may have illegally copied and have in their possession.

Edgeman

18 May 2017
It may have been 'inadvertent' access if you left your password in their system. You would have to prove it wasn't.

You may have agreed to allow them access through your contract of engagement.

I'd be ignoring the lawyer's claims and replying saying you have proof the ex-client is accessing your personal information and they are to immediately cease and desist such access and are destroy any of your personal information they may have illegally copied and have in their possession.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it :)