NSW Employment Law - Am I Entitled to Personal Leave?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Carter

13 December 2015
I would like to ascertain if I'm entitled to take personal leave under Employment Law while I've been stood down on full pay pending an external investigation with which I intend to vigorously defend myself against these allegations of misconduct.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
If you are on full pay, then why do you need to?

As a general proposition, you can't camouflage "suspension" by calling it "being on holidays" instead.

Carter

13 December 2015
If you are on full pay, then why do you need to?

As a general proposition, you can't camouflage "suspension" by calling it "being on holidays" instead.
Hi, Tim, it's regarding negative outcome from the external investigation whereby I wouldn't be able to utilise and personal leave. I had been on personal leave prior to reviving notice of being stood down. I'm experiencing significant emotional impact on my wellbeing and would prefer to have the opportunity to access my leave entitlements prior to any out with the report & recommendations whereby I could be dismissed immediately thereby contributing further to my state of being. Also, I would like to maintain accessing Employees Assistance Program Support (EAPS) with which I would lose if I'm my employment is terminated.

Serge Gorval

2 November 2015
Sydney
lawtap.com
Hi Tim

Personal leave is related to medical leave or sick leave. if you have been stood down without pay, you have a very good claim for unfair dismissal or breach of contract due to the repudiation of the employment contract by the employer but you need to respond quickly and adequately to allege the repudiation.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Tim

Personal leave is related to medical leave or sick leave. if you have been stood down without pay, you have a very good claim for unfair dismissal or breach of contract due to the repudiation of the employment contract by the employer but you need to respond quickly and adequately to allege the repudiation.
I am familiar with it.
But the OP states that he is on full pay.

Which way this goes depends in part on whether or not the employer is government or not.