Employer making me pay course fee

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sez532

9 June 2020
I had signed up to do a certificate IV course in my review at the company I was made redundant through in early April, they agreed to pay for me to do the course. After being made redundant we tried cancelling the course as I didn’t want to continue the course, as I couldn’t afford the payments and work weren’t willing to continue to pay. The course it’s through - Open Colleges have declined the special consideration form and want an upfront payment of 3,000k. And now my ex employer have told me “it’s in my name so I will be liable for the costs”.
Side note* I never received a contract because they were too lazy to put one together so I don’t have it in writing.
What are my rights?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If the ex-employer agreed to pay, without conditions, then they should pay. Question is can you prove they agreed to pay?

sez532

9 June 2020
Unfortunately not because there not being a written contract. Although they did give them their credit card details to pay for the course

Poidah

9 November 2017
Qld
Open Colleges have declined the special consideration form

Maybe ask Open Colleges to chase it up with your employer too. Say that the credit card is in their name and they can continue to charge that credit card? If the credit card bounces, then it is an issue with the credit card and the employer? You might be lucky...

But ultimately, you did sign that enrolment form with Open College. You did read and agree to the terms and conditions with Open College. You did not indicate or propose a change to the contract due to the risk of being redundant etc when you signed that Open College form. So whether you are redundant or not, you took on that risk and signed a private contract with them. The employer did not sign any contract or forms with Open College. So you likely have to step up and make do in whatever way is best for you unfortunately. Are you able to withdraw? What are the penalties and is there a census date?

sez532

9 June 2020
Thanks for your response. That’s a good idea, I guess I can request that they do that and hope they don’t chase me up for the payment.

I can re submit a special consideration form and say due to financial issues I want to cancel (haven’t found new employment still) and hope they allow me to cancel, otherwise I have to have the remaining course fee