VIC Does Not Being Sexually Active for Years Qualify as Separation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
24 November 2015
My husband has not been initiating sex for years. His whole world lies in our only child and I have been neglected sexually and have been depressed for 9 years. I filed for divorce online today. I read that you have to be separated for 12 months before filing for a divorce. Does not being sexually active in a marriage qualify as separation?

Thanks in advance.

S

Sophea

Hi Danielle,

There are a number of factors that would tend to prove that you are legally separated in the court's eyes such as:
  • change in sleeping arrangements i.e. different rooms
  • whether you have informed government agencies such as Centrelink and other institutions of your separation
  • reduction in shared activities or family outings
  • decline in performing household duties for each other
  • division of finances; for example, separate bank accounts, and
  • any other matters that show the marriage has broken down; for example, if you have notified family and friends of your separation.
If you were seeking to establish legal separation for the purposes of getting a divorce you may also need to explain why you continued living under the same roof following separation and your intentions to change that situation.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Agree with the above. Unfortunately, a lack of sexual relationship alone will not qualify as determinative of separation.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Instead of initiating a divorce application - why not initiate sex with him?

Seriously - working on saving the marriage is worth considering because divorce is not fun.... Tell him how you feel...

Not legal advice but worth thinking about

N Knight

27 December 2015
The question you have to ask yourself is this.

1. Do you consider him to be your Husband or your Ex-Husband?
  2. Do you have joint bank accounts?
  3. Do you sleep in the same bed?
  4. Do you cook, clean or do stuff that a Husband and Wife would do?
  5. Do you go out as a couple?
  6. What do people pursue your relationship as.