TAS Do I Need a licensing agreement or similar?

Discussion in 'Intellectual Property Law Forum' started by Bobelix, 8 January 2020.

1. Bobelix

Bobelix Member

I am a photographer. I am putting together a photo book that shows images of what I think fictional characters would carry with them every day.

For example, what does Han Solo carry every day? What does a Star Trek officer carry on an away mission?

Do I need the permission of the copyright holders to create and publish such imagery?

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

Certainly, yes.
    And you'll be expected to pay a hefty upfront fee as well

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Bobelix likes this.
  3. Scruff

Scruff Well-Known Member

As Tim said, but - if it's for the purpose of parody or satire, it doesn't infringe on copyright.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #3 Scruff, 9 January 2020
    Last edited: 9 January 2020
    Bobelix likes this.
  4. Rob Legat - SBPL

LawTap Verified

Bear in mind as well that Star Wars characters like Han Solo are now the property of Disney which has a monster reputation for enforcing their intellectual property rights.

Bobelix likes this.
  5. Bobelix

Bobelix Member

Thanks, I figured as much. I didn't think of the hefty upfront fee, though. So, generic genre photos it is!