VIC Dispute with neighbor

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Wandar

3 October 2017
I lent my neighbour my car. It was a verbal agreement. He loaned it for 5 months. I now have a $4500 damage bill. He refuses to contribute to the bill saying it is only a verbal agreement. I am unemployed at the moment. He hasthreatened an intervention order as I was extremely upset at the damage and shouted at him . I am unable to access legal aid as there is nothing in writing. I was wondering if an intervention order which I would contest wouldallow me to access legal aid. Would I then be able to have my case heard incourt? Is there a possibility for me by this avenue. I have no idea. Any contributions would be valuable

#1Wandar, Tuesday at 11:54 PM

Clancy

6 April 2016
How did your car get damaged? was it a bingle with another vehicle? Ok you have a witness, case closed. If he just hit a tree or something, well, sorry, you are without evidence.

But given that he is a neighbor.... they say you should not crap where you sleep, so he is making his own life uncomfortable by doing this.... make sure you remind him every chance you get, and don't get emotional.

Wandar

3 October 2017
he told me the car would only be driven to work and back which is less than 15 minutes away. When I finally got it back he had done 16000 kilometres in 3 months. I drove the car straight to my mechanic because it nearly died when I got in the car. The service sticker had been peeled off - my mechanic informed me about the kilometres. I asked my neighbour to service the car which he assured me he did. He refused to give me documentation saying he didn't want me to hassle them. The car was old but always serviced. It belonged to my father and had sentimental value. He knew this. Had the car been used as promised I wouldn't be in this position. It has been flogged. The guy is an idiot but there's nothing I can do

Clancy

6 April 2016
So the car is not damaged, just wear and tear? Yea, nothing you can do.

You might want to check your engine number? You never know, he could have sold it and put a clapped out one back in its place? If so, let the RTA know the original engine number is stolen and you will nail the basted that way. But in doing so, you may not be able to renew the registration for
you car with an imposter engine in it.

Wandar

3 October 2017
Thanks Clancy ....I will check the engine number. However the car is at the regular mechanic - I think he would know if this had happened. He has done a number on me unfortunately

Clancy

6 April 2016
don't rely on the mechanic 'would know' .....If the mechanic has no reason to check the engine number he wont, even when they are supposed to for pink slip they rarely do actually check it, Which i can understand because they are paid to check the car is roadworthy, not do private detective number checking for government paperwork.