SA Friend Refusing to Pay Verbally Agreed Debt - What Can I Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Judith123

16 October 2015
I had a verbal agreement with a friend that $5000 I had contributed to a furnishing flat on his property would be repaid to me. He is now refusing to pay his debt, and is threatening to go bankrupt. He has superannuation, so I can't see how he can do that. But if he does, what can I do? If he doesn't, what are my options?

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
What was the exact verbal wording between the two of you prior to you giving the money?

Has there been any written communication since from the person you lent the money to basically saying he does owe you but won't pay?

Also, was there any witnesses to your conversation confirming that there was as oral offer in place?

Judith123

16 October 2015
No witnesses. The agreement for 2 of the sums was verbal between us. I've asked him to pay via an email and he's emailed back that he doesn't want me to email, text or speak to him again. There is one amount for which I do have a written agreement , and he is also refusing to pay that.