WA Is it legal to use p plate with full drivers license?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Natalie

26 April 2018
hello everyone!
It it legal to use a P-plate if I have a full overseas drivers license? It is not expired and has a proper translation.
I didn’t drive for few years and would like use the p-plate to warn other drivers that I’m not very experienced.
Thanks

Clancy

6 April 2016
That is actually a good idea, but i would not do it. You have to realize that the authorities/police only care about the technical breech of the law and actual road safety is irrelevant, sadly.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
hello everyone!
It it legal to use a P-plate if I have a full overseas drivers license? It is not expired and has a proper translation.
I didn’t drive for few years and would like use the p-plate to warn other drivers that I’m not very experienced.
Thanks

You are not able to drive using the overseas licence, even when you put the P-Plate. You need to be authorised to drive in Australia by going through the Australian system, overseas licences are not authorised in Australia, there maybe a legal approval to use it for few months as this is to assist someone coming new to Australia, knowing they need time to settle, the other option to use the overseas licence is to obtain an International Licence from the issuing country of your licence and make sure that the Int. licence includes Australia.

If you drive using the overseas licence and use the P-Plate, then you are breaking several laws and you will get hefty fines. So start with your Australian licence process.

Natalie

26 April 2018
You are not able to drive using the overseas licence, even when you put the P-Plate. You need to be authorised to drive in Australia by going through the Australian system, overseas licences are not authorised in Australia, there maybe a legal approval to use it for few months as this is to assist someone coming new to Australia, knowing they need time to settle, the other option to use the overseas licence is to obtain an International Licence from the issuing country of your licence and make sure that the Int. licence includes Australia.

If you drive using the overseas licence and use the P-Plate, then you are breaking several laws and you will get hefty fines. So start with your Australian licence process.

Thanks for your reply, Adam, but as you can check on the WA Department of transport I am able to drive using my overseas driving license in WA if I'm on a temporary visa (fe students visa) and have an approved English translation

Quote: If your overseas licence is not in English, you must carry an international driving permit or an approved English translation of your licence with you when you drive.

So the question was if it is illegal to put P-plate having a full driver's licence, in my case overseas driver's license.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Thanks for your reply, Adam, but as you can check on the WA Department of transport I am able to drive using my overseas driving license in WA if I'm on a temporary visa (fe students visa) and have an approved English translation

Quote: If your overseas licence is not in English, you must carry an international driving permit or an approved English translation of your licence with you when you drive.

So the question was if it is illegal to put P-plate having a full driver's licence, in my case overseas driver's license.

Then your best thing to do is to contact WA Department of transport, they will provide you with the proper answer, why are you asking here? there is a risk of getting the wrong answer. So it is best to go to WA Dept of transport and clarify with them. Also, other point to consider is contacting the insurance company and ask them if they will honor the claim in case of at fault accident while you have the overseas licence, this is other important point.

Callmekayte

1 May 2018
I think the p plate thing is an offence in Victoria. If you have any doubts about your ability to drive confidently don't just whack a p plate up and say good to go, go and do a couple of refresher lessons through a driving school, they only cost about $50 each.

Last edited:

Imamess

11 April 2018
In NSW you will receive a fine if caught displaying a L or P with the wrong license obtained by the driver. I know plenty of parents find because they didn't check to see if their kids took the L or P off their cars