SA desperate for your advice

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bi Young

14 November 2022
I married 11 years ago, and have two kids (11 and 8 years old). I am bread winner for 11 years. I am considering divorce. My questions are

1. I would like to care my kids (at least > 50%). If my wife and I cannot agree, how it is decided? Can the kids choose which parent they wants to live? Or other situation can be considered (e.g. financial support)?

2. When we married, I had around 100k and she had around 200k. After a few years, we bought a house (450k) for which she and I contributed equally after I borrow 100k from my parents (I have IOU in a foreign language). When the property is divided, should it be 60 (wife):40 (me)?

3. After a few months of the marriage, she was dismissed from her job (due to restructuring in her department). Since then, she hasn't had full time job. She has had some causal jobs (although the income never come to family support, and I never seen how she spends the money). Anyway, what should be spousal maintenance cost after divorce (a few hundreds box per week?)? Note that I contribute a few thousands dollars per year for her super from the last year.

It will be grateful if you can give any advice and comment. This is really important for me and my family. Thanks.

Atticus

6 February 2019
would like to care my kids (at least > 50%). If my wife and I cannot agree, how it is decided?
Mediation... Have a read of this >> Family mediation and dispute resolution | Family Relationships Online

Failing that, a certificate is issued that allows you to file for court orders.
When we married, I had around 100k and she had around 200k. After a few years, we bought a house (450k) for which she and I contributed equally after I borrow 100k from my parents (I have IOU in a foreign language). When the property is divided, should it be 60 (wife):40 (me)?
the weight given to Initial contributions erodes over time. You have also pooled your contributions into the acquisition of joint property. The IOU is almost certainly not worth the paper it's written on
After a few months of the marriage, she was dismissed from her job (due to restructuring in her department). Since then, she hasn't had full time job. She has had some causal jobs (although the income never come to family support, and I never seen how she spends the money). Anyway, what should be spousal maintenance cost after divorce (a few hundreds box per week?)? Note that I contribute a few thousands dollars per year for her super from the last year.
Her non financial contributions as a homemaker would likely be considered equal to your financial contributions..

You should not assume that you will need to pay spousal maintenance. It's not the norm.

Reactions: Bi Young

Bi Young

14 November 2022
Mediation... Have a read of this >> Family mediation and dispute resolution | Family Relationships Online

Failing that, a certificate is issued that allows you to file for court orders.

the weight given to Initial contributions erodes over time. You have also pooled your contributions into the acquisition of joint property. The IOU is almost certainly not worth the paper it's written on

Her non financial contributions as a homemaker would likely be considered equal to your financial contributions..

You should not assume that you will need to pay spousal maintenance. It's not the norm.
Many thanks! It helps.