QLD Deported Father Custody Rights

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sharna

18 October 2019
My child’s father was deported from Australia to NZ about 3 years ago due to serving more then 12 months is prison. I am unsure of the actual charges, as we hadn’t been together for nearly 2 years prior to deportation date. I am just wondering how I would go about applying for legal guardianship for my partner, as he is the one to make all decisions with me regarding her schooling, medical, is essentially acting as her father in all related aspects.
A lot of what I have read is best interests for the child etc, and taking into account amounts of care.
He cannot enter the country again, so makes it difficult to organise parenting plans. I terminated our child support agreement, (he was defrauding NZ government to avoid an income to pay)
And contact is very rare.
I cannot find anything relating to her custody, obviously this situation makes it hard for him to actively contribute to her life, but obtaining a parenting order for my partner seems silly based on the fact that her biological dad CANNOT be present.
Has her custody automatically handed over to me, since her deportation?
I can’t seem to find anything and will also post this in Immigration Law

Thanks!

sammy01

27 September 2015
stress less and live longer.
So my partner does everything a bio parent does. The only scenario that is a problem is getting passport applications. Bio parent has to sign... But if you can sort that with the ex then sweet. IF not I do believe the passport office and sort it. (check with them)
So the only thing you have to do is look both ways before you cross the road and stress less so you don't die young. If you do the law looks after that too. Especially in your case where dad can't even enter the country. BEST interest of the child.... Seems pretty obvious what that means in this case.
So you die - the kid wont be taken to NZ unless there is a court order and in all likelyhood your partner would be granted guadianship if you did die.. So don't die - problem solived