DEFACTO MORTGAGE SPLIT

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Palms

12 November 2019
Then you'll need to come agreement how to do a split. Sooner is better else she gets a larger share when the property is sold.

If both names are also on the mortgage you'll need to refinance if you keep the property.

Really even though I paid the full deposit and her nothing ?

I can afford the repayments myself so hopefully bank sees it that way if I refinance just to have my name on the mortgage

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
even though I paid the full deposit and her nothing ?

That is but one factor when family law is invoked. 6 years is a reasonable timeframe and quite likely she is entitled to something. I have no idea what the something is and a family lawyer would need to sit down with you for an hour just gathering information before saying what a likely split may be.

Keep in mind her girlfriends will likely be in her ear the moment 'split' is brought up.

Palms

12 November 2019
That is but one factor when family law is invoked. 6 years is a reasonable timeframe and quite likely she is entitled to something. I have no idea what the something is and a family lawyer would need to sit down with you for an hour just gathering information before saying what a likely split may be.

Keep in mind her girlfriends will likely be in her ear the moment 'split' is brought up.

Thanks for commenting. True mate I did a bit google search and even though we’re not married 6 years is technically defacto relationship. She’s mentioned she wouldn’t do me dirty as deposit was my money but easy to say but when it comes down to it who knows