NSW Debt Collectors Chasing Me For Unpaid Invoices - Dispute This?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jayb

14 January 2015
I am hoping someone may have the answer to my question as I can't seem to find any information. Is there a legal requirement regarding how many invoices for payment need to be received before the outstanding amount is sent to debt collectors? I received a final letter of demand for payment as the first invoice and now have received a notice from a debt collector. Contact with the provider has gone unanswered so I was unable to dispute the amount owing. Thanks in advance for your help.

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Jayb,

Is this for a bill? What service is it for? If you did not get a chance to respond to the bill before they referred to debt collectors, it is best to speak with an ombudsman and get the service provider to withdraw the debt from the debt collectors.

jayb

14 January 2015
Hi Tracy B

It was an invoice for swim school that we no longer attend. We replied to the collection agency saying that we dispute the amount but the creditor will not withdraw the debt. We have spoken to Fair Trading but they are unable to help us now that a debt collector is involved. The provider hasn't responded to our emails regarding the amount he believes we owe. I am not sure what else we can do.

Thanks