NSW Dealing with Family Law and Medical Issues

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Blue Grass

6 August 2014
I can't afford to go back to family court, X refuses to mediate. Kids have medical issues and X refuses to take advice of medical staff.

As we have 50/50 custody of children, this is a real concern. X lies to everyone and gets away with it and the judge is bias. Oh and I can't get legal aid. We have been to counselling together and separately but that also didn't work as X ignores all advice. X has a replacement wife and she is willing to back his lies so as not to rock the boat of the comfortable life she now leads.

We have an independent children's lawyer (ICL) but can't go direct we have to go via a lawyer which I can't afford and X know that so the situation just continues to get worse.

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Blue Grass,

I'm sorry to hear your facing a difficult situation. However can you please clarify what you are asking us?

Blue Grass

6 August 2014
Hi Blue Grass,

I'm sorry to hear your facing a difficult situation. However can you please clarify what you are asking us?
Hi Ivy, I just want to know is there anything I can do or someone I can talk to, to force the X to take medical issues seriously. I very much believe a child should have a good relationship with both parents but not if one cant or wont take a responcibile attitude to medical issues. As I said I can afford a lawyer, I can go to the ICL unless I have a lawyer, court reporter has offered advise as has the councilor, and that advise has been ignored, and X refuses mediation and I dont feel capable of defending myself in another court case.. I just cant get over the fact that a parent could use a child to get back at the other parent in this way.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I am a little confused about why you can't speak to the ICL except with a lawyer. I'm sure that self-represented litigants can contact the ICL directly.

Are you self-represented or no?

Blue Grass

6 August 2014
I am a little confused about why you can't speak to the ICL except with a lawyer. I'm sure that self-represented litigants can contact the ICL directly.

Are you self-represented or no?
Yes now self representing but last time contacted ICL I was told I had to go via my lawyer which I dont have. So are you saying if I dont have a lawyer I can go direct to the ICL and make my concerns known ? What if the ICL again says I have to make contact via a lawyer. Could I have the doctor contact the ICL and raise her concerns ?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
You have a right to self represent. Provided you have notified the court that you have dismissed your representation, there is no reason why you can't contact the ICL.

Blue Grass

6 August 2014
Really ? Ok well I will try the ICL again. I am at breaking point. Child just came back from access with a highly contageous medical problem, no medical treatment sort, and sent to school. Now excluded from school and a letter being sent to all parents about a highly contageous child being at school for the last 2 days. This is not a first this has been on since separation. Also the X way of stoping me from going to work, to keep me in a financially stressed situation.
Thank you for your help it is much appreciated.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I would probably leave your speculation about the ex trying to keep you under financial strain out of your correspondence with the ICL because that has nothing to do with the child's best interests.

Blue Grass

6 August 2014
Yes All For Her I agree and did not plan to raise it, just venting I guess, I just feel helpless in not being able to protect our children when in the X care.