VIC Call from Debt Collectors after Dad Passed Away - Scam?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
30 July 2015
My dad passed away 4 years ago, and we (my sister and I) have received calls from an unknown number. Today we got a message asking us to call back. My sister called back and it turns out it's a debt collectors agency and they didn't know my dad died. We had no idea he was in any sort of debt but they have requested proof of his death.

What do we do?

We don't even know if it's a scam or legit. Panthera Finance is the name, are they to be trusted?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
They are, as you know, in the business of buying debts and then trying to collect them.

1. Insist on them sending you written proof of the debt before you do anything.
  2. How much are we talking about?
  3. Did your father leave a will?
  4. If so, who is the executor?
  5. Unless one of you is the executor, refer them to the executor.
  6. Has the estate been distributed yet? (there would have been a notice period during which
    anyone with a claim on the estate could have come forward, and, after four years,
    this time may have passed).
  7. As to proof of death - if you feel you must send them something,
    then don't go to the trouble and cost of a copy of the death certificate.
    Send them a photocopy of the Death Notice from the newspaper.

30 July 2015
Thanks for your reply.
They say that they cannot release any information about how much it is and wouldn't even tell us who they were on the phone. We only found out after an email my sister received after giving them her email.
Unfortunately my father did not have a will however his estate has been distributed.
But we will definitely ask for proof before sending them anything!