Custody of Children - A Rule on Children Sharing Bedrooms?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Blue Grass

6 August 2014
Hi, is there a rule that, at a certain age, children should not be sharing rooms? Is there a rule that sets out the sort of conditions required in regards to sleeping arrangements?

Access and custody of children is 50/50. One child sleeps in what can only be described as a room that is supposed to be a bedroom (small single) but is now far more a store room for suitcases, boxes, etc. The other child shares with a stepsibling but when relatives visit, the child is given a mat to sleep on the floor in the living area, while the visitor and step siblings get the beds and room.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
No, there's no rule about sharing rooms, and quite frankly, there is nothing wrong with the sleeping arrangements that you've described. The Court doesn't appreciate petty complaints and criticisms, so keep things in perspective.

KidsComeHome

15 June 2016
i am new to the system but the legal aid lawyer (who has ceased my case today) says the 3 kids have to have their own room because that is what they have where they are now

It's a parental responsibility case. They were with me for 5 years. They went on holidays and grandfather failed to return them to me (their paternal great aunt). Father is in jail, mother is in another country

They have been with me for nearly 5 years without their own room - in fact, even though we had enough rooms for one each they didn't want to sleep in different rooms. They are 10, 9 and 7 - oldest and youngest are boys - middle child is a girl. They are extremely close siblings

I understand it's not that straightforward/ I told her I didn't agree and she removed herself and legal aid funding.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
If you intend to make the case as to why placing three children in a single bedroom is more reflective of their best interests than each having their own room in a house that can accommodate such arrangements, I think the Court will reject the argument.