Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Criminal Law - Follow Up on Sexual Offence in Civil Court?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by mandkay, 9 February 2016.

  1. mandkay

    mandkay Member

    9 February 2016
    Likes Received:

    If a sex offender was convicted criminally, can the victim follow up in civil court for damages if the event occurred 5+ years ago?

    I have read different statute of limitations on time to act since the event took place.

    Thank you, and pardon my lack of knowledge on the subject of criminal law.
  2. JS79

    JS79 Well-Known Member

    2 October 2015
    Likes Received:
    The Victim can apply for Criminal Injuries Compensation. As long as the offence occurred within the last three years.

    Either look at the Criminal Injuries Compensation Commission website in Queensland and fill in your own application with supporting medical evidence ( psychologist or psychiatrist report) or contact a local personal injury lawyer who is experienced in Criminal Injury Compensation.

    See Get Connected with the Right Lawyer for You
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page