Creep catcher charged with manslaughter?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

martinaH

8 December 2021
Hi, can you guys help me out.

Lets say a vigilante creep catcher poses as a girl online, chats to a person, and they arrange to meet in person. When they meet up, the creep catcher interrogates him and live streams the "sting" to facebook and youtube. This person becomes so humiliated, and ashamed etc etc and just kills himself on the sport (for example, standing in front of a bus, jumping off a balcony etc)

Would the creep catcher be charged with manslaughter. Did he "cause" his death?

And if he is charged with manslaugher, what potential defence would he have? Beyond saying "I didn't know he would kill himself"

Thank you guys.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Your friend is in very serious trouble, and needs a lawyer.
Vigilantism is ineffective as a defence

martinaH

8 December 2021
Would the creep catcher be charged with manslaughter. Did he "cause" his death?

Its for a movie screenplay.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
If it's for fiction then it doesn't matter, just write what you like.
Your making a movie, not a doco.

martinaH

8 December 2021
is has to be realistic , dickhead. So this site doesn't offer legal answers, its just washed up laywers, saying what people already know "hire a lawyer" Can anyone in here, who has a brain, and professional legal expertise, answer this question? (this is the 3rd time I've asked) Would the creep catcher be charged with manslaughter. Did he "cause" his death? Im talking about the definition of law.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
is has to be realistic , dickhead. So this site doesn't offer legal answers, its just washed up laywers, saying what people already know "hire a lawyer" Can anyone in here, who has a brain, and professional legal expertise, answer this question? (this is the 3rd time I've asked) Would the creep catcher be charged with manslaughter. Did he "cause" his death? Im talking about the definition of law.
* credited screenwriter
** script consultant
*** had a client involved in a manslaughter

Have a nice day.

Reactions: Rod

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Could they be charged with manslaughter? Sure, provided the prosecutors determine they have enough evidence to support the case.
Would they be charged with manslaughter? Who knows.

There are crimes that go unpunished that probably should be. And there are at least some completely innocent people in jail who should never have been charged. Someone I know was arrested and incarcerated for an armed robbery despite contemporaneous, uncontested evidence, with dozens of witnesses and written record, that they were on the other side of town at the exact time the robbery took place - they were eventually acquitted of all charges. As far as I know it was never determined why the alibi information wasn't investigated.

Have a look at this case from the United States: Woman who encouraged boyfriend to kill himself loses fight to appeal conviction

As an aside, being rude to what is essentially a free information service offered by volunteers is poor form. It's a 'free information service to ask questions about legal matters' not a 'free information service to do research on hypothetical matters' (the legal students' thread aside, which is a specific exception). If you want the definition of the law, for a start, decide where your hypothetical act is taking place - not all jurisdictions have the same treatment of manslaughter. Then look at the criminal code (or equivalent) for that jurisdiction and the offence of manslaughter. Look at the elements of the offence.

If the act takes place outside of Australia, then asking on an Australian forum isn't likely to be helpful - find a forum that services the jurisdiction in question.

Atticus

6 February 2019
what potential defence would he have? Beyond saying "I didn't know he would kill himself"
Maybe that he's a complete tosser & throw himself to the mercy of the court.

I reckon a legit screen play writer would be seeking proper professional opinion, not running it past joe public on a forum & then abusing a member who actually answered your question, as best as anybody could anyway .... fact is it just isn't that black & white ... Could he be charged?, absolutely ... Would he be found guilty, depends on all the circumstances & available evidence obviously .... Vigilante creep catchers don't get to decide what defines a creep or who is a creep, & then publicly shame them, not without consequences anyway

sammy01

27 September 2015
oh just for fun - you come here, you ask a question - a pretty stupid question. You don't preface it by saying - just an idea for a movie.... Then you take offence at the advice given? Hmm...

so here is my take on it. Suspension of reality. Google the term... Then google the term manslaughter and use your own brain to work out if what you're describing meets the definition. But maybe you're brain isn't that big, so I'll help. NO. Maybe a bunch of lesser chargers like maybe impersinating a police officer.

Regardless, sounds like a lame idea for a film.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au