WA Countersuit If Innocent of Proceeds of Crime Charge?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mr m.weber

20 May 2015
I have been charged with and have $40,000 frozen because of suspected proceeds of crime. If I'm found innocent of this criminal law charge, would I have a case to counter sue?

I'm from a different state and not been able to go back due to bail which has cost a lot financially and I'm also missing time with my father who has terminal cancer including his birthday which would be his last.

Tracy B

Well-Known Member
24 December 2014

I am very sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, if it was the Western Australia Police (Proceeds of Crime Squad) who froze your account, the chances of you being compensated for inability to access your account during this time is low. There are policy reasons why the state will not compensate for inconveniences caused to individuals suspected of crime during police/state investigations.