NSW Council Rangers and Mobile Home Travel - Resting or Camping?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rob Penman

28 June 2015
I travel a lot and sleep in my mobile home by the roadside, preferably in lit areas in or near towns for safety. Is this legal for I have been asked to move on by Council Rangers at times. Can they do this if I am parked correctly and of no danger or hazard to traffic, I am resting and moving on in the morning, not camping as claimed by Authorities.

Ivy

10 February 2015
Councils are allowed to set their own rules about where you can park overnight and sleep in your vehicle. If you are sleeping overnight, that is generally deemed to be camping. There are various websites and books that show free camping/ overnight parking areas around Australia.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Use truck stops where possible.

Rob Penman

28 June 2015
Councils are allowed to set their own rules about where you can park overnight and sleep in your vehicle. If you are sleeping overnight, that is generally deemed to be camping. There are various websites and books that show free camping/ overnight parking areas around Australia.
I understand that Camping is setting up camp as defined in dictionaries. Resting is resting not camping most Councils have in the past few years closed most of the rest areas down near towns to move or encourage travellers on to Council Caravan/camping areas where a large fee is charged $40+ a night.
The motor traffic act advises drivers to rest every 2 hours of driving (Rest,Revive, Survive). Councils are removing these rest areas, if not placing signs there stating No Camping.
My argument is, after a long drive and I am Tired and decided to take a rest before moving further in one of these areas as advised to by the Motor Traffic Act, ( Rest, Revive, Survive) because I feel tired and could be a danger to other traffic/travellers if I continue. I park correctly legally and of no nuisance to any one/traffic, Council Rangers have the power to move one on. I must say they do this mainly only of an early evening not during the daylight hours.
Most of these signs are placed there to encourage travellers to use Caravan parks owned by Councils and have no instrument of authority associated to them. As far as Camp Books I have Wiki Camps on computer there are very few rest areas listed for travellers near or in towns, they have been removed. The only rest areas near or in towns are for Trucks only so they can comply with their legal requirement of resting, but not so for travellers.
We travellers mostly use Wiki Camps and are able to notify other travellers by leaving comments on towns that meet our requirements or fail to provide free rest areas and parking so as future travellers can reschedule their travel plans. We then support the towns by resting there and spending our money at restaurants, shops, garages, servos, hotels, visitor information centres and supermarkets etc. If we can't rest, park or stop how can we support them.
So I am asking what is the Legal definition of Camping V's Resting.