SA Council Didn't Notify Explosive Blasting - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

NickB

18 September 2017
My council has a quarry next door, 340 metres from me. Tuesday without notice, they blasted the quarry with a big explosive detonation.Their blasting radius exclusion zone was 500 metres. I, and my entire property is within 500 metres, I was 340 metres away.

I was not told about the blast at all. I hit the ground cowering under my car, and I am suffering from the effects of the blast . Where can I find help as to what they should have done. What is their legal obligation toward recklessly endangering human life?

SA police don't seem interested in following up. Who should I turn to for realistic help and accurate legal advice?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
While I can appreciate you may have received a fright, I'm not sure there's a cause of action unless you can prove a recognised medical condition. Fright is generally not a condition that allows compensation. If you go the trouble of proving a medical condition it may then have unwanted side effects with insurance and employment.

re: Reckless endangerment of life. This is a criminal matter and police can elect to proceed or not proceed. I'm not surprised they elected to do nothing. If a large boulder went through your roof they might then reconsider.

If you want accurate legal advice you need to see a lawyer. No-one here offers legal advice online.