QLD Copyright on “clothing patterns”

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Anon686868

6 November 2019
I have an online dropshipping store with over 500 dresses from my overseas suppliers.

One customer said “one of your dresses is a direct copy of _____ designer” with regards to the colours and patterns on the dress.

my question is, when selling dresses or clothes. Can someone claim copyright or protection on clothes designs!? In all the 500 dresses, how am I suppose to know which ones are “copyrighted” and which ones are “market prints available to public”

many thanks!

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Can someone claim copyright or protection on clothes designs!?
Absolutely - at the very least in regard to artwork and visual design.
In all the 500 dresses, how am I suppose to know which ones are “copyrighted” and which ones are “market prints available to public”
Some countries don't respect intellectual property (IP) rights at all and going by the comment from your customer, it looks like your supplier might be from one of them. Unfortunately, this is something you should have looked into before starting the business. I don't know if there's much you can do about that now, but I would recommend getting a new supplier and checking their country's IP laws before dealing with them. I'm not sure you can really do much more than that.