NSW Copyright Law on Starting Online Jewellery Store?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Garrus

15 January 2017
Hi all,

Need some general help.

I am in the process of starting an online store and need some guidance as to what I am doing is fine. Essentially I will be selling completed custom jewelry that will be produced by a casting company which I outsource to. My role in this is to provide the gemstones to go with the custom ring and sold under my own website.

So my concern is, the outsourced casting company has a range of products and designs with images that contains their own company logo. How do I go about showing the range of products on my own website without infringing any copyright laws? I don't exactly want to show their company logo on my site however they won't provide images without their own company logo.

Essentially I can purchase a few of their products and take my own pictures as the finished product has no logo on it but that would incur a massive cost if I want to offer a full range of designs.

Any help appreciated.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Depends. Are you using them as contract manufacturers of your own designs,
or are you selling things that they make, with you as the retailer?

Leonard Mancini

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
4 August 2016
Gold Coast
lawtap.com
Take your own photos or ask them for written permission to use theirs, preferably ones they supply sans logo.