Contract not honouerd

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

andymadee

1 May 2020
Good morning,

My employer offered me a promotion with a scope of duties and procedures for said job in form of a letter of offer. I accepted and both myself and the operations manager singed the contract.

So after my 3 months probation which at the end there was to be a performance review and then i would go on to my new role with its higher pay. That was 1 year ago and they have put someone else in that position and explained to me that they couldn't afford it
at the moment all the while i have been doing this new role for 15 months now and no pay increase.What do i do.........Is there any legal recourse i can take .Cause at the moment i am $7,500 out of pocket and i keep asking about what is going on an i just keep getting
Brushed of.Please help.......

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You likely have a cause of action against your employer.

The bigger question is not legal per se. What is more important to you, the $7.5K or your job?

It may be chasing the $7.5K is at the expense of your job. Vindictive bosses can make your working life hard and you have to consider what happens if you push for what may be owed to you.

Sometimes it is not in your best interests to stay fixated on what may be owed to you, and it can be better to chalk it down to experience.

Give it some thought and post back.

Badmodafuggah

2 May 2020
in this economy, it is not worth taking the risk. I had taken that risk with a signed contract and unfortunately, my boss was the vindictive type and I resigned under duress eventually. One lesson I learnt, from a junior lawyer's opinion, that the signed contract remains effective... so you may accept the current arrangement under protest and you can still seek what is owed to you further down the road and you will have a bigger claim against the employer who failed to honor the contract. look at it as a delayed compensation? I assumed the contract is signed, dated, and perhaps a witness?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
@Badmodafuggah raises a good point, you have 6 years in which to make a claim.

Make sure you keep all records relating to a possible claim.