NSW Common Property - Asking Strata to Send Info Before a Vote?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Harry P

22 January 2017
Hi there

I am an apartment owner in Sydney and I am having an issue with my Strata. In short, I have installed a split system air con with a compressor on my balcony and now they are asking me to remove it. Yes I did not seek permission, but in what I think were reasonable circumstances, and there has been no appreciable impact to the common property.

There will be a vote of owners at the next meeting as to whether to take legal action against me for not wanting to remove it. I would like the owners to hear the opinion of the tradesman who installed it, in the way of sending them the email he has written (the tradesman has agreed), which disputes the claims of damage being made by the Strata.

Can I ask the Strata to distribute this to Owners before the next meeting so they are fully informed on the issue? Or, can I turn up at the meeting and distribute the information myself before the vote?

Many Thanks

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Harry,

I had a similar situation in my old strata unit. I physically printed the document and put it in there mail box. I'm not sure if there is something in your strata rules that prevents direct communication between residents with regards to meeting vote matters, but I would look at posting it.