WA Strata Company Making Changes to Common Property Without Permission?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

david wade

7 March 2016
Hello,

I'm interested to know if a Strata Company can make changes to common property without the approval of all owners.

In my situation, there are 3 car bays with the middle one belonging to me as an allocated car bay on the registered strata plan. They use to be exclusive use but apparently the by-law lapsed and they became allocated car bays with unit number painted on ground to correspond with my unit. The strata company council made changes to car bays by reducing the width and adding another car bay, in other words, turned 3 car bays into 4 and now the width of car bay is not in regulations sizes with local shire.

They also installed a metal pole to support the carport in the center of my original car bay so now I have smaller car bay and in a different position. As an owner, I didn't give permission to make changes to my car bay lot and it wasn't discussed at the AGM for approval by all owners.

My question is, can the strata company make changes to common property without the approval of all 70 owners under Property Law? Is a resolution without decent required to make changes to any common property?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Have you read your Body Corporate rules? There may be rules spelling out how things should work.

david wade

7 March 2016
Body Corporate rules or strata by-laws act say nothing about strata company being allowed to make changes to common property without approval from all owners.