QLD Commercial Lease - Timeframe for Return of Deposit?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Raspberry

1 June 2017
We moved out of our old office 2 months ago and awaiting return of bond/deposit paid. When have been able to get hold of agent, he has advised that the property owner is hard to contact.

Is there a legal timeframe for its return? I cannot see anything in the commercial lease contract.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

So I'm assuming this is a non-retail commercial lease. In which case the Property Law ACT 1974 part 8 applies. I can't find anything specifically related to release of bond so I would look at applying the principle of a reasonable person, Two months would likely be considered long enough to a reasonable person.

I believe you can seek recovery of the money through QCAT but they may refer you to mediation in the first instance. Look I would probably write a formal letter to the owner via the agent and explain that you require the bond to be release within 14 days (give an actual date) or you will refer the matter to QCAT. you will probably find the agent doesn't want trouble for the owner and arranges payment.

Good luck.