NSW Co-executors Not Acting

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

goingbananas

1 November 2023
I am one of three executors of a deceased estate. We received probate 10 months ago. The beneficiaries of the deceased are her three children and my father, who by co-owning a property with the deceased (Tenants in Common - 50% each) received occupancy for as long as he was able or wanted to remain at the premises. I am not a beneficiary. The estate got so bad that a filed a complaint against the solicitor handling the estate and she up and quit two months ago. Since then the other two executors have ceased responding to my messages and have also had recent meeting with the old solicitor at the estate's expense. The old solicitor refuses to talk to me or let me know what the conversations contained. My dad now wants to sell the house but the other two executors have also ceased corresponding with him. So we have no solicitor, no correspondence between us (I keep trying) and no agreement to sell the house. I believe they cannot hire a new solicitor without my approval and vice versa, we also cannot get a contract of sale drawn up without their approval.

I am at a total loss now as to how to proceed. I can write to them (they have blocked my phone number) until I am blue in the face but all I hear is crickets. I cannot get my own solicitor unless I pay for it as I have no approval from the estate that they will pay my fees and I cannot afford it myself.

Meanwhile her three children are crapping all over my father (they were married 34 years) and one child who lives in Queensland refuses to come to Sydney to collect his possessions from the house saying he has a legal right for them to be stored there until it is sold. I am about ready to give up, just move my Dad out and let the property sit empty. What can I do?