Child Support - Do Payments Cover School Fees?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cupcake

11 December 2014
Can anyone tell me exactly what child support payments (CSA) are supposed to pay?

According to my ex, they pay EVERYTHING school fees included.

Cupcake

11 December 2014
Please help,

Tonight my ex informed me he was not going to pay half of our child's private school fees, that he agreed to pay half of public school but not private school.

However, my ex is quite happy to send our daughter to this private school, visiting the school just last week. I emailed him details of the school back in October and he never stated yes or no when i informed him she was going to a private school, in fact he never responded at all. 3 months later on the eve of her starting school (tonight) he has informed me he is not going to pay half of any private school fees, that he was only happy to pay half of public school fees. Had I known he wasn't happy with this 3 months ago, I would have had time to contemplate other options.

This has left me in a very dire predicament, any advice?

Reactions: Timnuts

AllForHer

23 July 2014
"I emailed him details of the school back in October and he never stated yes or no when i informed him she was going to a private school".

To be frank, it doesn't sound like you have made a genuine effort to consult with the father on the matter of the child's schooling. Did you send any further e-mails about this matter? Did you request his insight, or just tell him you intended to enrol the child in a private school? Did you raise the issue then of fees?

Summarily, the father doesn't have to pay schooling fees separately to child support, and if the father were to successfully argue that the decision was made unilaterally, you may experience difficulty retrieving costs for private school. You could commence an application for him to cover half the costs, but I imagine the cost of funding a lawyer would far exceed the cost of schooling anyway.

You might like to invite him to mediation to discuss the issue further.

Cupcake

11 December 2014
It was an open letter, let me know if you have any issues with this etc.....no response for 3 months until last night. Not at any stage during our marriage, the child's life or since has he voiced any concerns over public versus private school until last night.

I have court proceedings coming up and will argue this matter. I'm self represented.