NSW Child Support - What does it Cover?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Needinghelp

14 December 2014
What does the determined child support payments cover?

I realise they are to help the primary parent pay for all costs associated with the children with them but is there any other unexpected costs that need to be shared out side of these agreed payments?

I am thinking of things like school fees, unexpected hospital/doctor fees, costs for excursions, sporting trips etc.

Are there any ground rules here or is it to be agreed by both parties as separate costs outside of child support and can be refused if can't afford them or don't agree? Is this covered anywhere in an official document so both parties understand what it includes and does not include before any tricky situations arise.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Child support covers any and all costs associated with a child's upbringing. It is not broken down into specific expenses, such as 'school', 'health' or 'extra-curricular activities'. It is based on a formula that considers both parents' reported taxable income and percentage of care.

I believe parents can apply to have additional costs shared, such as orthodontics and major medical bills. It's advisable though to try and achieve agreements about this outside of court - the cost of court proceedings against the benefit of child costs recovered are worlds apart.

You might consider contacting the Child Support Agency for further information on this.