Charges for Property Damage

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tam74

1 October 2018
Hi everyone, just had a question regarding charges for criminal damage to property that the police are serving on my partner. He damaged things in our house when having a meltdown a few weeks ago (all of which he admitted to) and although he is remorseful and getting the help he needs psychologically, emotionally and mentally, the police have decided to charge him with willfully damaging property. They asked me this morning what the total value came to of the items he damaged, to which I laughed and said roughly $100. I said to the cops that the glassware he smashed was bought at $2 shops and the buffet unit was recently purchased second hand for $30. Every hole in the wall has been repaired at no cost to me, so there was no value at all. So he just hung up the phone and basically said 'ok'. Now my question is, when there is no real value to the property that has been damaged, and police are the ones bringing these charges, not me, in cases like these, what advice can anyone offer my partner who now likely has to face a Magistrate?

Tam74

1 October 2018
And what if self representation is required on the day due to lack of finances?