Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Change Will to Ensure My Son Gets My Share in Property?

Discussion in 'Wills and Estate Planning Law Forum' started by Alice mo, 19 November 2014.

  1. Alice mo

    Alice mo New Member

    19 November 2014
    Likes Received:
    Hi! The joint named property I have with my husband has 'proprietors in common' on the property title. Can I make up my will now to change the right to hold my share of the property to my son when I die?
  2. winston wolf

    winston wolf Well-Known Member

    21 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    As you own the property "in common" as apposed to "Jointly" you can will your share as you wish.
    This may be complicated by a mortgage or if you are to give your husband the right to occupy and the age of your son. this require it to be held in trust.

    The short answer is yes.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sophea

    Sophea Guest

    Hi Alice Mo,

    Yes - jointly held property automatically passes to the other owner upon death, however an interest in property held as a tenant in common forms part of your estate and is will-able to your son. As Winston has stated a lawyer will best be placed to advise you of the most tax effective and appropriate ways of structuring your estate so as to give effect to your wishes.

Share This Page