QLD Car Accident - Personal Injury, Life Insurance and Workcover Claim - Options?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

greg sell

25 March 2015
I was a victim of two car accidents 4 years ago. My claim was lodged with workcover.

I went through many examinations etc., and I was told that the personal injuries would be split between the 2 separate insurance companies because the accidents were only 4 days apart and it was unreasonable to say that one accident was more damaging than the other.

I engaged a solicitor who then appointed another solicitor for my 2 cases. It took nearly two years from memory to get to a meeting between the insurance parties. I was offered a settlement from one life insurance company but the other made a insulting offer based on a picture of an undamaged number plate. I then discovered that workcover had not registered the 2 accidents on it's file so only 1 case settlement had to repay there expenses.

I was encourage to accept the 2 offer that was not linked to workcover, I said I would think about it.
To my amazement I was told that it was settled and the paperwork was ready to sign. I expressed my disapproval to the decision but my solicitors forced me to sign through several emails saying that I had said yes etc., and that I would get any more for the claim.

I continued to say no but after a month of indecision I was convinced to accept the offer because I was assured I would get the same amount from the unsettled claim based on the doctors results etc. The case then went from bad to worse. My solicitor was arrested and charged with multiple drug offences and I have not been able to find anyone willing to help me because of the unprofessional and incompetent way the case was run. I live on constant medication, have had 6 or more spinal injection to my spinal nerves so I can get relief, I can only work to 50% of my original capacity.

What can I do? I was the victim left unable to afford the operation I need to get back to a better lifestyle.

greg sell

25 March 2015
Hi Greg, your case sounds a bit complicated. A solicitor will need to read over all your material to establish whether there has been negligence on your previous solicitor's part.
Thanks Shireen I have ask several lawyer firms to look at the case and they don't seem interested because of the complications.
They have told me the case was not done right to start with and a negligence approach could be the only option but ! they are not interested because there is not enough fat in it for them. That's there words to me. So I have to pay for the incompetence of lawyers as well as there greed.
I am still amazed that my solicitors could not show me a damage report for accidents from the panel shop, which would cleary show the most damage was done in the first accident. It has already cost me $40,000 in solicitor fee's , and was told that for the files to be handed over I needed to sign something that agrees to pay the solicitors another fee if the case is won in court even though they did nothing. I have most documentation on the case that they would have in there files so why can't I just use my files?I don't want to pay them any more money.