LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

ACT Child Abuse at Church Boarding School?

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by needhelp, 6 September 2014.

Tags:
  1. needhelp

needhelp Active Member

Hello all,
    I have recently been in contact with the church that ran a boarding school for troubled kids and teens that were either kicked out or asked to leave etc. I was 7~8 ish while I was there and had my front adult teeth smashed, shown and made to have sex with other male students by students and was fondled by a staff member.

Before going to the school I knew nothing about sex at all nor being abusive towards teachers, etc. I left a completely different person and believe it has shaped my life in a negative way. Upon "graduating" after approx 1 year they sent my new school a letter stating how good I was.

They sent me my school file recently which has hard evidence of how I was chewed up and spat out and after I refused to go through their legal process the head of the church has agreed to meet me here in Canberra with a member of their ethical standards office.

I am able to bring a "support" person and I am thinking it should be somebody who knows the law and can help stand up for me and keep things calm.

Any advice would be hugely appriciated

2. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Hi @needhelp
    As a starting point, you may want to consider contacting Broken Rites Australia.
    Broken Rites operates a free hotline to support church abuse victims. Their hotline phone number is: (03) 9457 4999.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any further questions. All the best and please keep us updated with your progress.

3. needhelp

needhelp Active Member

Thank you

John R likes this.
  4. littlehelpplease

littlehelpplease Active Member

Hey, I am the original poster.
    I had my meeting with the head of the order and a lady from the professional standards office and now need to send them a letter from a lawyer with my requests put in an official way. does anyone here know a lawyer like Saul goodman or similar pitbull type of guy to right an official letter?

5. hlly

hlly Well-Known Member