NSW Can I shoot a bull that trespasses onto my property?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

lisa Veria

28 April 2020
I think that shooting the cattle is not the best option. Just speak with your neighbor again, and explain her about this problem, try to find a compromise. In case this doesn't help, you have the right to call the police, and ask them to call an eviction company that will deal with the bull. I mean this is what I personally did when I had problems with squirrels, I called a squirrel removal company, which helped, and I solved the problem peacefully. You decide in the end, but trust me if you will shoot that bull you will have problems with the law.
A squirrel is different, no body owns the squirrel. Cattle are owned by someone. You can’t shoot it or get it ‘removed’ yourself. If your in Australia (since I’m not sure since we don’t have squirrels here). You call the DPI (department of primary industry). They organise a ranger to collect from Local Lands council who impounds the animal (not shoots).
Anyhow I’m not going to repeat the answer. It’s already written on this thread.

lisa Veria

28 April 2020
Thanks again Tim for your thoughts. As you can tell, I am feeling somewhat frustrated by the situation and this evidently came across. It is a small community and each of her immediate neighbours are having the same problems. I didn't ever think that I could shoot her animals because I was fed up - I understood that there was an issue of what I now know was called 'cattle trespass' (and now know has been repealed) and had been told by several established farmers in the area that an animal in such circumstances could be shot. Ok, now I know that's not the case (and very glad I thought to have a rummage around the internet on what might be the steps that must be followed). (And in any case, shooting any animal is not something done lightly or even willingly.) My intention was neither to threaten nor to intimidate but rather to inform (on the basis that I thought cattle trespass provided some rights to those affected to take actions after talking , negotiating etc). I imagine that would not constitute a defence on my part - it appears we have no rights despite the conventions and neighbourly expectations that go hand-in-hand with a small community. Other neighbours have tried the Fencing Notice approach to no avail. One served her with a legal notice (ie prepared by solicitors) . She appears to ignore official Notices issued to her , eg noxious weed control orders and so on. We won't bother. We'll continue to wear the time and cost of doing the fencing ourselves as there's no point expending further time or money (neither of which we have) on trying to have her contribute. We'll adjust our stock management, although that too will incur a financial penalty for us. It appears she is our local 'difficult' and we will continue to work around her trouble-making. I don't blame the bull. Again, I appreciate the time you have given me (and by extension the rest of our small community who will now know the deal).
PS: perhaps you could add to your 'remember' after your disclaimer with 'or what the old bloke down the road says' .
Your paragraph “it’s just a Bull. Not a nuisance Bull. Clearly you have no idea about Bulls. EVERY Bull is a dangerous animal that can kill you. In the Uk a Bull killed a jogger. They are dangerous.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
In case this doesn't help, you have the right to call the police, and ask them to call an eviction company that will deal with the bull.
This statement is not correct.

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
Do not know the legislation, but if the bull is threatening you property or attacking your animals, I reckon you would have some kind of defence if you took action.