QLD Can I Self-Represent in Mediation for Personal Injury Claim?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sarabah

27 June 2016
Can I undertake mediation for settlement of personal injury claim on my own without a lawyer?

ShireenHazlett

11 May 2015
Brisbane
Hi Sarah, yes, you can but you may place yourself in a position where you will settle your claim for lower than what it is worth, given that a personal injury lawyer will have experience with both negotiating the claim and calculating what a court would likely award you.

Sarabah

27 June 2016
If I am unsuccessful to negotiate a settlement, can I then employ the services of a lawyer and try to mediate again?

Is the cost agreement negotiable?

What if no cost agreement is signed?

ShireenHazlett

11 May 2015
Brisbane
If i am unsuccessful to negotiate a settlement can i then employ the services of a lawyer and try to mediate again?
Is the cost agreement negotiable?
What if no cost agreement signed?

Yes, you can do it yourself, but if it doesn't settle, you may need to lodge court proceedings (which you will need a lawyer for anyway). With regards to fees, it really depends how much the claim is worth/how injured you are. If the settlement reaches a certain amount, you can claim most of your solicitor's fees and any outlays they spent from the insurer. If it is not worth that much, the solicitor is bound by the 50/50 rule, which means they can't charge more than half of what the settlement is, less outlays, no matter how much work has been done.

Sarabah

27 June 2016
Thank you Shireen. I appreciate your help.

What are the major points to consider when mediating an injury claim?