WA Can Employer Fire Me Because I need to go to Rehab?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
7 September 2014
Hi,
This is a very hidden/ behind closed doors drug addiction and one could say that I work in a industry where this would be very frowned on. Would they be able to fire me if I needed to take that time?, do I have to tell them that I need to take the 5 weeks off for that specific reason or could I say something else. I don't have any sick leave but this job is hugely important to me I am finally where I want to be and do not want to loose it. But I have had this problem for the last 7 years and this needs to be done fix this once and for all. Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou :)

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi there,

Have you told your employer at the beginning of employment that you are recovering from a drug addiction? What is your company policy on drugs and association with drugs?

You may be able to tell your company that you need 5 weeks off for medical reasons. You do not need to tell them what medical reasons as this is private and confidential information. They may request a medical certificate from the doctor so you may be able to get one from the clinic (if it is not too obvious that it is drug rehabilitation centre) or from your GP.

7 September 2014
Thankyou for your reply. At the beginning of my employed she made a joke and said ur not an alcoholic or a drug addict are you? and laughed this was because the about 2months before I came along they had an employee who was a alcolohic but went off the rails i do hide this from the rest of the world very well i mean if proformance was lacking i wouldn't have got a promotion, but obviously i laughed it off and said no because if u admit something like that you will not be given then job there is a stigma about doesn't look good u know. Do u know there is any laws about them denying time off for medical treatment ,No policy at workplace about that either.. thanks for your time